Fire safety legislation:

All fire safety legislation in England and Wales is gathered under ‘The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005’, which was designed to simplify the existing legal requirements at the time. All premises used for non-domestic purposes, with a few small exceptions, fall under these regulations.

Every business must have a designated ‘Responsible Person’ whose job it is to makes sure certain duties are carried out, and that action is taken to both prevent fires and prevent injury or death if a fire actually occurs.

As there are nearly twenty thousand commercial fires in the UK each year, these are important duties that should be taken seriously. It is recommended that the ‘Responsible Person’ uses a professional fire safety business to help deliver their business’s requirements.

UK fire safety legislation states that you must provide “appropriate fire-fighting equipment”.

This usually means portable fire extinguishers.

In our experience, fire safety signs are often overlooked by business owners but in fact all businesses will need at least 2 signs (a Fire Action Notice, and an Extinguisher ID sign) and quite probably more, to be legally compliant.

Below is a summary of the types of fire safety sign and when you will need to use them:

– Fire Action Notice – explains what to do in case of fire and is mandatory for all premises

– Fire Extinguisher ID sign – explains and locates each type of extinguisher. Mandatory.

– Fire exit signs – how to exit in case of fire. Needed for all but the smallest & simplest of properties

– Fire alarm call point signs – identifies where to activate the fire alarm. Mandatory if you have an alarm.

– Other fire equipment signs – if you have a hose reel or a dry riser, you must signpost where they are

– Warning & Prohibition signs – Highlights danger. Needed if there’s extra risk of fire on your premises


We can provide and commision fire extinguishers if you either need more or you have moved to a premises that does not include extinguishers, this service is all carried out by a BAFE approved trained engineer.


Our trained engineers can attend site perform an annual maintenance to keep up to legislation and give peace of mind that the units are working as intended incase you ever need to use it.